Name:

cafegirl is a working artist and graduate student with utterly appalling work habits and a very old laptop. This blog is specifically intended for graduate school writing assignments. If you have wandered in from my other blog, please note that I am blogging anonymously. Please remember that my classmates and professors read this - so play nicely. That being said, I DO encourage comments!!

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Little Out Of Order: Hotel Rwanda

I had not planned on doing a blog post on Hotel Rwanda but I decided that I really did want to give it a mention.

(Note that I am not using the blog prompt for this Unit.)

I was reading some of the reviews for the movie and I came upon this one by James Berardinelli in which the reviewer concluded that a film as important as Hotel Rwanda would probably disappear and that almost no one would ever see it.

During the course of this Summer Sessions, I have had quite a time trying to locate movies but that has hardly been the case with Hotel Rwanda. In fact, every single Harris Teeter grocery store that I've been in has had a copy in the DVD rack at the checkout, right alongside the magazines, tabloids and beef jerky.

It's an odd choice for an impulse purchase, to be sure.

Still, I don't think that the placement of the movie, in any way, trivializes either it or the historical events behind it.

Rather, I believe that it is something that people don't just need to see but that they want to see.

Clearly, Berardinelli worried unnecessarily.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home