Name:

cafegirl is a working artist and graduate student with utterly appalling work habits and a very old laptop. This blog is specifically intended for graduate school writing assignments. If you have wandered in from my other blog, please note that I am blogging anonymously. Please remember that my classmates and professors read this - so play nicely. That being said, I DO encourage comments!!

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Rumi: Part 1





It's hard for me to imagine that Coleman Barks' free-verse interpretation of the translations of Rumi's poetry begin to approach the original works.


These guys don't look much like Beat Poets to me.

But, I have to say that this 19th Century Persian painting reminded me of the following from The Essential Rumi:

I called through your door,

"The mystics are gathering

in the street. Come out."

"Leave me alone.

I'm sick."

"I don't care if you're dead!

Jesus is here, and he wants

to resurrect somebody!"

Mystics can converse with one-another. It doesn't matter what clothes or labels they wear or how they get to where they are going. They seem to share a sense of communion - a shared experience of joy.

There's all of this great cosmic joy to be experienced. It calls for the soul to share in it but sometimes the human spirit closes itself off. goes to ground and doesn't want to hear.

Pity.

Sounds like quite a party!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the lovely quotation and your own commentary. Am inspired!

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home