Name:

cafegirl is a working artist and graduate student with utterly appalling work habits and a very old laptop. This blog is specifically intended for graduate school writing assignments. If you have wandered in from my other blog, please note that I am blogging anonymously. Please remember that my classmates and professors read this - so play nicely. That being said, I DO encourage comments!!

Friday, August 18, 2006

"Art Is Not A Thing; It Is A Way"



I have seen this quote variously attributed to Oscar Wilde and to Elbert Hubbard.

Regardless of who said it, I have had this quote displayed in my work area for about thirty years.

Art is the process, the activity.

It is not the artifact generated by the activity.

I do not go into my studio to "make art".

That's not how I understand the process.




Today's pic is also from the Art institute of Chicago. It is The Fountain by Sargent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home