Name:

cafegirl is a working artist and graduate student with utterly appalling work habits and a very old laptop. This blog is specifically intended for graduate school writing assignments. If you have wandered in from my other blog, please note that I am blogging anonymously. Please remember that my classmates and professors read this - so play nicely. That being said, I DO encourage comments!!

Monday, August 21, 2006

Lesson 2: Part 1

Prompts for this blog:

1. What images of childhood come to mind when you look at [the] photos.
2. If you have children or grandchildren, what memories do these pictures awaken?
3. What makes you laugh?

To begin with, I don't have much experience of children. I didn't have any siblings and most of my cousins were older than I. I don't have children and have limited acquaintance with them. Therefore, my impressions of childhood are largely confined to my own experiences.

For the last year, or so, I've been working on a series of monochromatic paintings that are (loosely) based on old b/w photos from my childhood - because, when I was a kid, nearly all of the photos were in greyscale. Furthermore, since color TVs weren't all that common, most of the visual images from that era are also in greyscale.

My actual memories, however, are not so much visual as they are tactile and olfactory - the smell of cool concrete after a rain, for example. Or, the feel of grass and gravel beneath my feet.


As to what makes me laugh....

....satire....absurdity....The Daily Show....cats....people with quick wit and a sly sense of humor that sneaks up on you (like our nephew!)....hanging out with friends....my husband....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home